Saturday, September 24, 2005

bizarro yard

A few months ago I went over to a new friend's house to hang out before a concert. I had only been over to this house a few times, so I wasn't completely comfortable with simply walking around to their back porch, which is what they had told me over the phone to do. Since I had only ever hung out at this house with a group of friends, I mistakenly thought that the house was inhabited by a guy named Matt (it was actually his girlfriend's house, but that's not entirely necessary for this story).

When I walked around to the back I saw some kid with a mohawk that I'd never seen before. This escalated my worries that I'd chosen the wrong house. But the backyard looked familiar, so I didn't immediately retreat with my plate of uncooked hamburgers that I'd brought for the grill. To prove my legitimacy, I dropped the name Matt, and asked if he was around. The mowhawked guy said that Matt was just inside. A very friendly guy immediately walked out the door, shook my hand, and introduced himself as Matt.

I was still sure that I recognized the yard, but was completely confounded by this other Matt, and by the fact that these stranger's weren't at all surprised that I'd invaded their yard. I wanted to know what in the world was going on, but I had no idea what question would lead to a useful answer.

Luckily, it wasn't long before a familiar girl walked out the door to confirm my sanity. This was a different Matt, and my friends were actually inside. Quite a bizarre beginning to what turned out to be great time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home