Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

This is a silent film made in 1919. I believe it was originally produced in Germany, and the titles had been translated into english. Unfortunately the video transfer wasn't very good. And the company that performed the translation decided to give the text cards a ridiculous torn paper design and typeface. With that aside, the actual story and set design was interesting. The sets looked like illustrations from a children's book brought to life. Instead of right angled windows, doors, and walls. Everything was jagged and angular. This was very much ahead of it's time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Okay, I left out an and and it didn't make any sense. Why can't I edit comments I've already made? Anyway...

In the categories of silent films and German films, I have to recommend to you The Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney, which is awesome and amazing, and M, which I wouldn't be surprised you've already seen but I felt I had to mention it anyway. My siblings and I used to rent Phantom from the library over and over again. There's one scene where a speeding coach overturns that we could never get enough of.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Akv said...

You can find this movie and more great movies on video.google.com, type in public domain and there are tons of them. About German movies: I'd love to read your review for Stalingrad and the original Munchhausen movie. Even the the later Munchhausen was directed by Terry Gilliam I think the original one was better.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home