Friday, November 10, 2006

Fox and the Hound

I think that I watched this as a child. But I may not have paid close attention. I didn't remember any specifics about it. There was one tense scene that I remember very clearly, and still made me nervous when I watched it this week. There is a scene where Tod the fox (as a kit) wanders nonchalantly into the old hunting dog's barrel as he sleeps even though the young hound dog Copper warns him against it. I was terrified of dogs when I was little (even my neighbor's grandmother's dachshunds who would yap viscously at my heals). The idea of being confined inside a doghouse with a ferocious canine, and the tension of waking him up, definitely stuck with me.

I liked the moral dilemma that this story poses to such a young audience. And it is obviously rich in allegory concerning racial prejudice in US's south. I would challenge contemporary children's entertainers to show a story that develops abstract thought instead of just drafting them in a battle to save the rainforest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home