Wednesday, July 06, 2005

cockroaches

My apartment has cockroaches. I don't really want people to know that. But it's not my fault. They were here long before I moved in. I'll never accept it, but I have grown weary of running to crush every apearance of the small brown bugs.

Most people imagine cockroaches as big black oval-shaped, but those are actually outdoor wood roaches, and from what I understand they don't infest houses. The ones you have to worry about are small, thin, and light brown. Maybe less intimidating but no less disgusting. I just keep telling myself that I'm moving out in less than a month.

They crawl around my counters, sinks, cupboards, and very recently they've been sneaking through a small crack into my refridgerator. Which is really pretty stupid, because the cold seems to paralyze them before they get a chance to get into my leftover pasta. I find them all over. One time I opened up my medicine cabinet and found one perched on my toothbrush. I even had one living inside the keyboard that I'm typing on right now. He liked to hang out under the number pad. Once in a while I would hit a key and see him run out and then under another key. But, I couldn't shake him out.

They're durable little buggers too. On my trip to visit my brother in LA one stowed away in my suitcase. That doesn't seem like much of a feat, until you consider that the luggage departments are probably not heated or pressurized. It get's pretty cold and oxygen is sparse at 45000 feet. A few days ago I washed a load of laundry, and afterward found a very clean looking roach running around inside. Somehow he survived the wash, rinse, and spin cycle.

Scientist say that cockroaches will still be around long after were gone. My sympathy goes to the next tennant of this crap-hole. I'm gone August 1st. But, I have a feeling these roaches will be plaguing this place long after then. Addios la cucaracha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home